Life After Infertility...it never goes away! I'm here help, to heal, to honor.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Treat me like I have Breast Cancer!

I really wish people would treat those that are experiencing infertility as though they have breast cancer. I realize we are talking about apples and oranges here, but I think it needs to be shared. There are many similarities between the two diseases.
Infertility is taboo much like breast cancer was years ago. The women behind breast cancer awareness fought hard to bring their cause to the level of exposure it has today. We may have have to talk about our uterus VERY LOUD! October is breast cancer awareness month and people are already gearing up on Facebook with games pretending to be pregnant. Yes, this did make the infertility community shudder.
As nice as it would be to have the funding and government support given toward breast cancer that really isn't what I want most of all for the infertiles. I really want people to think before they speak. If somebody actually has the courage to share that they are experiencing infertility DO NOT say, "Lighten up," "Relax," "It's Gods will," "You're lucky," or "enjoy it while you can." Think to yourself, "What would I say to somebody that just told me they have breast cancer?" and react accordingly.
I'm sure you would never tell a woman, "If God wanted you to have breasts he wouldn't have given you cancer." Nor would you tell a woman suffering from the thought of cancer that she should just "relax."
The obvious difference between these two diseases is that cancer can take your life. I would argue that anyone who has experienced a miscarriage (some women trying to conceive have three or more)know all about the loss of life. I would even argue that many women experiencing infertility would rather die than live a life without children.
I would never want to take away from breast cancer awareness or those who have fought the fight. I am only asking for mutual respect; from one diseased person to another. Medical technology is improving everyday. I pray for a cure. My hope is that we can improve humanity with love and honor. We need to treat all people and all diseases equal.

2 comments: